Orientation & Mobility
Orientation and Mobility (O&M) training teaches safe and effective travel skills and techniques to individuals who are blind or visually impaired. O&M training aids in fall prevention & independent/safe travel.
What is Orientation & Mobility?
Orientation and Mobility (O&M) is a profession specific to blindness and low vision that teaches safe and effective travel skills to people of all ages. Orientation refers to the ability to know where you are & where you want to go. Mobility refers to the ability to move safely, efficiently, & effectively from one place to another.
A Certified Orientation and Mobility (O&M) Specialist teaches safe and effective travel skills and techniques to individuals who are blind or visually impaired. O&M training teaches independent travel skills and aids in safety/fall prevention.
How Can Orientation & Mobility Training Help?
Skills taught by an O&M Specialist include:
- Using the senses to help you determine where you are and where you want to go
- Using a white cane and other devices to walk safely, efficiently, and independently
- Using optical devices and tactile maps to navigate the environment
- Finding destinations using directions, landmarks, and compass directions
- Techniques for crossing streets (analyzing & identifying intersections & traffic patterns)
- Problem-solving skills to determine what to do when lost or disoriented
- Using public transportation and transit systems
- Learning routes of travel in and around your community
- Home modifications to provide a safer environment
- Teaching sighted guide techniques to family members, caregivers, and professionals
O&M Training Increases:
- Safety (less falls
For services or more informations please contact the O&M Program at (210) 533-5195 ext. 2801 or email email@example.com