Adults and Seniors
Providing adults and seniors with vision loss the skills, tools and resources needed for maintaining independence in their homes and the community.
Since its creation, the Adults and Seniors Program has been growing steadily, and today the program serves more than 3500 individuals annually.
The San Antonio Lighthouse for the Blind & Vision Impaired offers adults and seniors who are experiencing various degrees of vision loss the opportunity to remain independent and active through six program services. These program services are sponsored free of charge to qualifying individuals who are enrolled in the program.
The Six Program Services
- In-Home Independent Living Skills Training: Provides instruction to address such tasks as household management, cooking, personal finance and communication, utilizing adaptive aids when necessary.
- In-Home Orientation and Mobility (White Cane) Training: Includes a variety of safety techniques for personal travel, which can aid in fall prevention. A trained Orientation and Mobility instructor is provided to teach the proper use of the white cane.
- In-Home Counseling: Certified counselors help qualifying individuals deal with and adjust to issues related to vision loss and recommend positive methods to adapt.
- Low Vision Clinic Services: The Low Vision examination provides an eye evaluation to help visually impaired adults and seniors maximize the use of their remaining vision.
- Low Vision Devices: The Program assists adults and seniors with obtaining specialized low vision devices that are recommended by the Low Vision Doctor.
- Health and Wellness: We partner with Registered Nurses who provide education in the following areas: Healthy Eating, Being Active, Monitoring, Taking Medications, Problem Solving, Preventative Diabetes Intervention, Healthy Coping and Reducing Risks. The educators conduct an assessment and provide 4-5 hours of one on one in home education to the Consumer. Monthly group training is offered as well.
Professional Presentation Request
We offer presentations to organizations that work with the vision impaired.
For a San Antonio Lighthouse
Referral Form Click HERE!
For more information, contact our Program Admin at (210) 531-1547 or fill out the form below.